Saturday 18 January 2014

Red Velvet Cupcakes


This is one of the classics! I just had to include it to my repertoire :) I also have to admit that red velvet cupcakes are one of my favorites!! I could eat them every day!!! Now with the coming Valentines Day this can be a sweet surprise for your beloved <3
Recipe adapted from Averie

Ingredients:

For the cupcakes:
  • 1 large egg
  • 200g sugar
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk (appox 150 ml)
  • 120ml vegetable oil*
  • 2 rounded tablespoons creamy natural yoghurt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 210g flour
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch salt
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons red food coloring, or as needed
*Oil will make your cupcakes more moist then if you would use butter. 
For the frosting
  • 250g cream cheese (I used mascarpone)
  • 1/2 cup powder sugar
  • 16 gr vanilla sugar
  • 50g butter, sof


Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 180°CLine a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners. 
In a mixing bowl combine all wet ingredients (egg, oil, buttermilk, yoghurt). Add sugar and vanilla extract and whisk again. Start adding flour together with the baking soda and cocoa and mix until combined. At the end gently add the red food coloring and whisk until you get a nice red color. If you get a very pink color you can add another 1/2 tsp of cocoa and then add more if needed. With a spoon scoop evenly into the prepared cupcake liners. Remember to fill the muffin cases only 3/4 cavity otherwise they might overflow. You might have some mixture for the 13th and 15th cupcake, depending on the measures of your cupcake tin. Bake for about 20min and leave to cool down. 
For the frosting: With a mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter when it combines add sugars and beat until combined and smooth. Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. I piped them with a piping bag but you can do it with a spoon it will be equally tasteful! 


Tip: I alsways cut their little heads so it is easier to decorate them with the frosting.






2 comments:

  1. Wow! I just love the flavor and texture of red velvet cake. That cupcake recipe of yours is such a good find for me. I'm sure those cupcakes taste heavenly. I'm gonna go and whip up a batch this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! All the best!

    Jason Underwood @ La Patisserie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason!! Thanks a lot for you very nice comment :) I also adore red velvet cake and those cupcakes are just excellent small red velvet bites! I hope they went good and you liked the recipe!! Thanks again for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete